March 17, 2005

7:22

So I was listening to 7:22 online today (www.722.org) and Andy Stanley was sharing. He made a few statements that made me think.

The first one was made to people who aren't really sure about Christianity as truth, he says:

"Don't settle on a god who is not totally devoted to himself because every god who is not totally devoted to themself is devoted to something else--find out what that something else is."

In the gospel's when Jesus is asked what the greatest commandment is, he says it's to the love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. Andy makes the point...Do you think God obeys his own commands? If so...Jesus is all about himself. He is TOTALLY devoted to himself...And that's distributing to us because if God is all about himself, he cannot be about us.

We rob God of his glory every day by making it about us. Most of our prayer life is filled with "help me's, watch over and protect me, bless me..." type of stuff. How different our life would be if we looked at the inconveniences of our day and ask God how He is trying to receive glory in this situation.

We were created in his image, for his glory...because it pleased him. We are the one creation that can give him the most glory because we bear in us the essence of who He is. Philippians chapter 2 talks about the attitude of Christ and how he never once played the "I'm God card" but didn't consider equally with God something to hold onto...instead he humbled himself and died on a cross. Why?? Philippians 2:11--for the glory of God the Father...

If you go to the 722 website you can listen to the whole message from Andy...this is a short summation of it. Any thoughts anyone??

Daddy..my life has not been about You or Your glory. Somedays I think I get close...but the truth is I'm so very far away. Teach me.....I can do nothing apart from you I don't even know where to begin on this one...change my mind..change my heart...and may beliefs be seen in my actions and may they reflect your glory.

6 comments:

jillymae said...

very interesting, a lot to simmer on. but if the glory of God is man fully alive, then He is all about Himself by being all about us at the same time. man, that'll make your head spin if you think about it too much!

Heather said...

I know! :) He gave the Garden of Eden as an example of where everything was the way He wanted it. There weren't any rules and man wasn't miffed that God was all about Himself, because God all about Himself is ultimately shown in us being all about Him and when we are all about Him...WE aren't about ourselves...etc...

Yeah..my brain is tired...it's a good thing. :)

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather said...

Andy did talk about being a relection of God's glory...I had forgotten that until you mentioned it Maria. :)

I'm LOVING the comments people! Thanks so much! :)

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.