January 03, 2009

Answers...

"Because I said no." was the phrase I heard a father tell his son last night. I was at a local watering hole waiting for a table. This statement made me smile and remember.

I used to hear that phrase all the time growing up. Apparently I liked to ask a lot of questions. Most children go through the "why" stage, you know the one...where the child asks "why" to every answer the parent gives. My mother usually used "Because I said so" or "Why not."

Most of my "why" questions come in prayer now. I would like to think I can handle anything that comes my way as long as I know the "why" behind it. Sometimes God is gracious and tells me the why. Sometimes He waits for "hind sight" to explain things to me. And other times, well its simply "because I said no." There is no other explanation. And if we are honest, there we shouldn't need another explanation. It should be enough.

Granted, the boy walked away from his father frustrated and many times I walk away from my Heavenly Father frustrated. "Because I said no" seems so unfair, ungracious, and plain ol' mean.

But really, did the father say "no" because he wanted to withhold joy from his son? More than likely it was because the father knew what was best for the boy. "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" (Matt 7:11)

How much more is waiting for us, when we embrace the "because I said no"? How much more will the Heavenly Father give...

No comments: