April 08, 2005

BBC Devo

This was our church devo for the day...I really liked it.


The Well Is Deep

“Sir,” the woman said, “You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?”
Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” John 4:11-14


The woman’s question is one of the funniest in all of scripture and I’m sure Jesus had a hearty laugh when she asked, “Where can you get this living water? You don’t even have anything to draw with.”

Her question showed that she truly didn’t know to whom she was speaking. Oswald Chambers writes that the passage shows that our human nature is to look within ourselves and our circumstances to judge whether or not God has the right tools to work His will in our lives. What we fail to realize is that Jesus doesn’t draw up water from our well. He draws down living water from Heaven and fills us to overflowing.

About a year ago, I was going through a very trying time in my life. I had decisions to make about ministry, graduate school, and a possible relocation of my family, among other things. In the midst of this, God spoke to me through a dream. In my dream, I was very thirsty, but no matter how much water I drank, my thirst would not relent. I woke up from this dream with the distinct impression that God had spoken to me, but I did not know what the dream meant. I was deeply troubled and confused until a few days later when the answer came. I had been drinking from the wrong well. I had been looking within myself and within my circumstances to discern God’s will for these changes in my life. I still don’t have any solid answers to those questions from last year, but I have enjoyed a deeper closeness with God and a greater contentment with life as I have learned to trust in Him. Maybe that was the point to begin with.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding; Think about Him in all your ways, and He will guide you on the right paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 (HCSB)

This week’s devotions are written by church member Toby Baxley.

No comments: