September 22, 2009

Compliments

I am a words of affirmation girl! If you have ever read "The Five Love Languages" you will know what I mean. If you haven't read it--you should. It's very enlightening! Try not to get bogged down with the fact there are the love languages for singles, for teenagers, for children and for couples. If you get confused...just go for the original "The Five Love Languages". A short overview--there are 5 basic love languages that everyone needs, however typically there is one that is your "main" source of love...or you feel loved more so when this love language is used. Make sense? I hope so.

Anyway, as previously mentioned, I'm a words of affirmation girl. I remember what people say about me, good or bad. This can be crippling. Crippling if its a negative comment--I can get stuck in that identity for a long period of time and have a demeaning view of self. Crippling if it's a positive comment--I can get stuck in that identity and become very prideful.

In the last few months I have had an outrageous number of people give me good words to remember. They probably aren't even aware that what they have said was a compliment. Unintential compliments are my favorite. For some reason they seem pure and untainted. They are so refeshing, like jumping in the water from a fire hydrant on a hot summer day or a drink of cold water after you get done working out.

Compliments are precious. Words can change a life. Be intential with your words, you never know what people will remember.

No comments: