November 24, 2009

A Book in Review

I was introduced to Margaret Feinberg at Catalyst. She was promoting her new book Scouting the Divine. My Search for God in Wine, Wool and Wild Honey. As she was talking about it, I mentally made a note to figure out where I could get a copy of the book. Then the interviewer said my new favorite phrase "and we are giving everyone a copy". I came home, finished the book I was in the midst of and immediately moved this book to the top of my "to read" pile.

In this book, Margaret discusses the time she spent with a shepherdess in Oregon, a farmer in Nebraska, a bee keeper in Colorado and a vintner in California. Why was she doing this? Because Scripture speaks these professions in a very profound way.

I was half way through reading about her time in Oregon when I text'd a friend and said "Is it ok that I weep through this entire book?" The answers shepherdess Lynne was giving about insights into who God is, without even knowing it, has been priceless. I found myself wanting to be like the sheep named Iris.

As you read Scouting the Divine...you feel as though you are actually in Oregon, Nebraska, Colorado and California. Maybe it was because I always read this book with coffee and/or tea in hand, but reading it felt cozy. I finished this book a few weeks ago and I still smile as I remember the stories, or more importantly, the truth she wrote.

No comments: