January 18, 2010

In Rememberence


In the Struggle...

In the struggle for the freedom of my people, I have known very few quiet days in the last few years. I have been imprisoned 12 times; my home has been bombed twice, I have been the victim of a near fatal stabbing. At times...I have felt that I could no longer...bear such a heavy burden..., and have been tempted to retreat. But ev'ry time that temptation appeared something came to strengthen and sustain my determination.

To our most bitter opponents, we say:

"We shall match your capacity to inflict suffering by our capacity to endure suffering. We shall meet your physical forces with soul force. Do to us what you will, and we shall continue to love you. Throw us into jail and we shall still love you. Bomb our homes! Threaten our children! We shall still love you! Send your hooded perpetrators of violence into our community at the midnight hours, and beat us and leave us half dead, and we shall still love you! One day we shall win freedom, but not only for ourselves. We shall so apeal to your heart, that we shall win you, and our victory will be a double victory!"

It may get me crucified. I may die. But I want it said, even if I die in the struggle, that, "He died to make me free!"

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: