May 11, 2010

Reflecting...

Today has been a day of remembering for me. That being said, I'm re-posting one of my entries from January of 2009. It's still so true.

Yesterday the 44th President of the United States was sworn in to office. At the end of his inaugural address he quotes the following:


With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come. Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations.


When I heard these words, my immediate reaction was not to fight for my country, but rather, for my God. Life is different today than it was yesterday. My children's futures will be
different than mine; and this is a good thing. We do not want to be a static people.

And I do want my children's children to say that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end. The journey of bringing truth and freedom, love and justice, hope and peace to the generations that follow us. May my children's children know that it is because of God's grace that we were able to fight and that they, too, are able to share in it.


May the Church's unity be what sets us apart. May our love for our God not be hindered by our greed and selfishness. May we truly turn the other cheek, give extra clothing, and walk two miles instead of just one to ensure that the love Christ has for all peoples is known throughout the world.


May this be the legacy my generation leaves behind, and the one future generations refuse to falter. With strength that only comes from weaknesses, may we see the glory and the power of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen and Amen...

No comments: