August 11, 2010

It's Not Such a Little Thing*

Don't you love those moments?!?

You know the moments I'm talking about, right? You are thinking of one right now. Yeah, it's one of those moments.

It isn't embarrassing or silly. It's definitely not insignificant. But it is brief, fleeting.

It's definitely not small though.

It's the moment when all-is-right-with-the-world. It's the moment when you realize the mundane has been infused with a little of the extraordinary.

I just had one of those moments. I was driving home with the windows down and the hot night air was whipping my hair around and making my skin sticky, whilst a very familiar song played on the radio.

I had one of those moments two days ago when I was making pizza with four lovely young women, whom I've had the privilege of watching grow up. They aren't the same women I met seven years ago. They each remind me of me in their own little way.

I have these moments when I sit on the beach at sunset. Or when I laugh at an inside joke with a friend. Or when I hear my family laugh and out-talk each other.

These are brief and fleeting moments, but they are definitely not small.

No comments: