August 10, 2009

Free



I looked up this word on dictionary.com. The word free has 36 different meanings.

Over the last couple of weeks free has become my new favorite word. If an event is free, I can attend without agonizing over whether or not I am spending money wisely and/or feeling guilty for spending money on something I enjoy rather than something I need. This is definition 36--without cost, payment or charge

The first definition reads like this: enjoying personal rights or liberty, as a person who is not in slavery: a land of free people. Romans 8:1-2 states "So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death."

The life-giving Spirit has given me liberty from the power of sin that leads to death.

Its interesting to me that I've been dwelling on definition 36 rather than the first definition. I am a free person. Everything is permissible to me, maybe not beneficial but permissible. I even live in the "land of the free". I have spent a lot of time asking if events and meals are free; but have hardly spent any time considering the things from which I have been set free.

Its a simple word. When we see it in stores we go crazy. Buy one, get one free--woo-hoo! I think I need to do a little more "woo-hoo"ing about the items I've been freed from.

No comments: